NEWS – September 2010
(CHEMICAL & ALLIED INDUSTRIES’ ASSOCIATION News Letter abstract)
REGISTRATION, EVALUATION, AUTHORISATION AND RESTRICTION OF CHEMICALS (REACH)
Companies are reminded that if you have a pre-registered phase for a chemical above 1000 tons, a chemical with particularly hazardous properties: CMR category 1 or 2 or one with a considerable environmental risk profile (R50-53) then the December 1 2010 registration deadline is just around the corner for companies pre-registered with REACH for export into the European Union.
Rebate of Duty for Blends of Petroleum Hydrocarbons
SARS has created new rebate items to provide for a rebate of duty for blends of complex petroleum hydrocarbons classifiable in tariff heading 2710.11.90 for use as plasticisers in the manufacture of synthetic rubber and of pneumatic tyres, in such quantities and at such times as ITAC may allow by specific permit. The present import duty on products of tariff heading 2710.11.90 is 11c/litre.
Notice R.847 in Gazette no 33585 dated 1 October 2010
Schedule of Controlled Products – Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act
The Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development has added o-toluidine (o-aminotoluene) to the schedule of controlled products in terms of the Drugs and Drug Trafficking Act.
Notice R.880 in Gazette no 33601 dated 8 October 2010
Road Traffic Legislation
The Road Traffic Management Corporation has published the National Road Traffic Law Enforcement Code (NRTLEC) for comment. The RTMC Act requires the publication of the Code which will govern all aspects of law enforcement relating to road traffic matters. Comments can be made until 29 October.
Gazette 33560, Notice No 860 of 23 September 2010:
The requirements for the Registrar of the Road Traffic Infringement Agency have been published. Section 8(1) of the AARTO Act, 1998 requires the publication of the qualifications and experience for a person to be able to be appointed as the Registrar.
Gazette 33572, Notice No 883 of 22 September 2010:
Implementation of the Consumer Protection Act of 2008 and the Companies Act of 2008
Take note that the Minister of Trade and Industry has deferred the general implementation date of both the Consumer Protection Act of 2008 and the Companies Act of 2008 to 1 April 2011.
NEW STANDARDS FROM THE SABS
The following standards have been published by the SABS:
Amendment to SANS 10216:2010 Edition 5.1
Amdt 1 2010: Amended to:
- add information regarding reference to this standard in legislation to the foreword
- to add equipment in the annex on requirements for facilities and equipment
- to add a new annex that contains requirements for axle-play detectors
Amendment to SANS 10231:2010 Edition 3.1
Amdt 1 2010: Amended to:
- give options that may be used as a dangerous goods declaration
- to delete the term ‘dangerous goods loading/offloading supervisor’
- to move references to legislation to the foreword, to change the table on the load compatibility chart
- to update reference to legislation.
- SANS 10229-2, Transport of dangerous goods – Packaging and large packaging for road and rail transport Part 2: Large packaging
- SANS 1825, Gas cylinder test stations – General requirements for periodic inspection and testing of transportable refillable gas pressure receptacles.
Should you require further information please contact:
SABS Information Services – Tel: 012 428 6666; email@example.com
Standard Sales: Tel: 012 428 6883; firstname.lastname@example.org